In this dish I combined three of my favorite foods including salmon, brussel sprouts, and beets. Atlantic Salmon is one of the greatest sources of omega-3 fats. If you have looked out my previous recipes, you’ll notice I use a lot of nuts and seeds high in omega-3’s. The difference between plant sources and animal sources of omega-3 fats is that animal sources are high in EPA and DHA, which are known for their anti-inflammatory and neurological properties. Animal sources are better sources of omega-3 fats than plant sources because the alpha-linolenic acid found in plant sources does not readily convert to EPA and DHA. Consuming salmon is one of the best ways to get an appropriate amount of EPA and DHA in your diet.
Salmon, Brussels sprouts, and beets
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2-4oz salmon fillets
8 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved
1 red beet, peeled
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Bring a 5qt stockpot 3/4 full of water to a boil over high heat, preheat oven to 350ºF, and place a colander over a large bowl (enough to fit the water from the stockpot).
- Place a saute pan over low-medium heat, season salmon with half of salt & smoked paprika, and add salmon to pan skin side down. Allow to cook for 11-13 minutes.
- While salmon is cooking, halve brussels sprouts and blanch in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender. Once finished, strain into colander and set aside until step 7.
- Place water back into the stockpot, bring back to a boil, and add in beat. Cook for 6-7 minutes until tender, then strain into a colander while reserving 1 cup of water.
- While beat is cooking, peel and slice carrot and set aside until step 8.
- Once all vegetables are cooked, increase heat on salmon to medium-high and sear for 3-4 minutes, flip, then sear on the other side for 2-3 minutes. When finished, the salmon should flake or if you place a thermometer in the fish it should read ~145ºF. If the fish is not fully cooked, place on a sheet pan in the oven until desired temperature is reached,
- Return saute pan to the burner over medium-high heat, add in brussel sprouts & carrot, and saute for 4-5 minutes, then season with remaining half of salt & paprika.
- Once finished, remove from burner, slice beet into 6 equal slices and serve with salmon and brussel sprouts.
Calories – 316
Fats – 11.9g
Carbohydrates – 26g
Fiber – 8.4g
Protein – 26.1g