You may be wondering why this article is titled “Mushroom Pump.” Mushroom is in reference to one of the ingredients found in the MYOPRE™ formula; not the psychedelic mushrooms your grandparents tried at Woodstock.
MYOPRE™ contains a specialty ingredient called PEAK02®, which is a patented blend of ergogenic (performance enhancing) mushrooms. We included PEAK02® in the MYOPRE™ formula because it is a commonly overlooked ingredient that we know has tremendous benefits, but the general purpose of the ingredient is commonly overlooked. As you will learn, PEAK02® is designed to increase your performance during your training session. Pair this with the other ingredients found in MYOPRE™ and you have an efficaciously dosed preworkout that will do exactly what MYOTREND is saying it will do; improve your workout experience and maximize your results in the gym.
What is PEAK02®?
Directly quoting the manufacturers website, “PEAK02® is an organic-certified combination of six Ayurvedic mushroom strains grown and harvested right here in the U.S. These mushrooms are powerful adaptogens , which allow athletes to “adapt” to and overcome physical and mental stress, giving you the extra edge you want to take your training to the next level”1.
Ayurvedic [ah-yer-vey-duh] is the general term for a medical practice with Indian roots that emphasizes the use of herbs, diets, and uncommon medical approaches to treat disease and illness2. Therefore, these mushrooms have been around for a very long period of time and have been used for medicinal purposes. It was until recently we found they have ergogenic benefits.
The research on the patented PEAK02® ingredient has been shown to produce extraordinary results.
PEAK02® alone has been shown to increase VO2 max, which is the body’s ability to use oxygen during training; improve time-to-exhaustion or endurance; and elevate peak power or the amount of force and speed that can be produced2. The previously mentioned research was over 21-days, however another body of research found over 28-days found similar results, but the subjects only increased time to exhaustion4. Therefore, the PEAK02® mushroom blend has been shown to be great for improving training endurance. We’ll talk about how this relates to the Mushroom Pump later in the article.
These common mushrooms can product extraordinary results, but what exactly are the mushrooms? Let’s discuss the six different types of mushrooms found in PEAK02®. The primary mushroom is Cordyceps militaris, or cordyceps for short. You may have seen this term thrown around recently because the mushroom craze is growing. In addition to cordyceps, PEAK02® contains reishi, king trumpet, shiitake, lion’s mane, and turkey tail mushrooms; all of which have various ergogenic and/or medicinal benefits.
Mushrooms in PEAK02
Cordyceps is the most abundant mushroom found in PEAK02® and is possibly one of the most researched. This particular mushroom has been shown to have positive anti-inflammatory, immune, and human performance effects among a laundry list of other potential benefits5. However, the reason it is relevant to PEAK02® is because it is has adaptogenic properties. An adaptogen enhances the body’s ability to respond and “adapt” to stressors; in this case, exercise.
Touching briefly on the other five mushrooms found in PEAK02®, they are all considered adaptogens but possess various properties.
For example, reishi & shiitake can improve mood and feelings of well-being, whereas king trumpet has anti-inflammatory benefits.
Lion’s mane is touted for its ability to encourage neurological cell growth and reduce inflammation. Lastly, turkey tail mushrooms are great for gut health.
A common denominator among all of the mushrooms are that they contain powerful antioxidant properties, which is why PEAK02® seems to improve performance. Reducing oxidative stress during training has a critical role in enhancing training performance6.
Why Mushrooms for Pumps
To conclude, PEAK02® and the mushrooms in the ingredient not only improve exercise performance but they also have various health benefits. MYOPRE™ is a preworkout formula designed to increase focus, energy, and the pump while training. Three primary ingredients found in MYOPRE™ are L-Citrulline, Nitrosigine®, and Betaine.
All three have been shown to improve strength endurance, or the ability to sustain strength, and lead to an increase in nitric oxide or vasodilation (the expansion of blood vessels) when training. Pair this with PEAK02® and you have a recipe for sick pumps. In theory, combined, these ingredients will allow you to train longer and harder, which means you have a greater capacity to maximize the pump.
- Compound Solutions. (2018). Compound Solutions: Peak02. Retrieved from http://www.compoundsolutions.com/peako2.html
- US Department of Health & Human Services. (April 7, 2016). National Institute of Health, National Center of Complementary and Integrative Health: Ayurvedic Medicine: In Depth. Retrieved from https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ayurveda/introduction.htm
- Hirsch, K. R., Mock, M. G., Roelofs, E. J., Trexler, E. T., & Smith-Ryan, A. E. (2015). Chronic supplementation of a mushroom blend on oxygen kinetics, peak power, and time to exhaustion. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 12(Suppl 1), P45. http://doi.org/10.1186/1550-2783-12-S1-P45
- Thomas, D. D., Dudgeon, W. D., Dauch, W. J., & Scheett, T. P. (2017). Increased Time to Fatigue Following Twenty-eight Days of Mushroom Blend Supplementation: 3269 Board# 174 June 2 2. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 49(5S), 931.
- Das, S. K., Masuda, M., Sakurai, A., & Sakakibara, M. (2010). Medicinal uses of the mushroom Cordyceps militaris: current state and prospects. Fitoterapia, 81(8), 961-968.
- Gomes, E. C., Silva, A. N., & Oliveira, M. R. D. (2012). Oxidants, antioxidants, and the beneficial roles of exercise-induced production of reactive species. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2012.